Craft. Design. DIY – I hope that says it all. A very dear friend, who placed the idea of this blog in my head, asked me if I really wanted to do this and why. My answer was simple – I like doing crafts/projects, I find them relaxing, I like to have unique and personalized items in my home that reflect my personality and maybe I can help someone in the process. Plus I thought a blog would be fun (I know, what was I thinking right?). To expand on these simple statements … in a nutshell, I want people to love their homes and personalize them to their own style. This blog will reflect my style in the projects I do and I hope (dare I say it) that this site will inspire you to create something unique for your home in your style. Welcome to my blog, this is definitely a new endeavor for me. I am not overly tech savvy so this will be a learning process. But I have been doing arts, crafts and projects for as long as I can remember. I don’t claim to be or consider myself an expert on craft, design or home décor but I will try my best and hey it’s all a learning experience right? I will share tips and tricks and the good, the bad, and the ugly. I am excited and I hope you stick around for this adventure!
Eleven things about me, in no particular order.
- My name is not Jayla, it is Jennifer. So why Jayla? When discussing potential blog names with a best friend of mine (yes, Susan, I am talking about you) she pointed out that in the decade we have been friends she has only referred to me as Jennifer maybe twice. That is because my girlfriends call me JLa (pronounced Jayla).
- My family and friends are the most important thing to me. I believe friends are the family you choose, as I have gotten older I have tried to choose more wisely.
- For as long as I can remember I have loved arts and crafts. I have tried acrylic painting, drawing (pencil, ink, pencil crayon, pastels), cross stitch, knitting (NOT for me), bead jewelry making, scrapbooking (I have moved to online scrapbooking), sewing, and reupholstering chairs. I plan to take pottery wheel classes in 2015.
- I am over 40 and still do not know what I want to be when I grow up. That darned fairy godmother is never around when you need her.
- I love dairy but dairy does NOT love me; I am Lactose intolerant.
- I love food but I hate vegetables. Indian, Italian, Thai, Vietnamese, and BBQ are some of my favorites.
- Recently I discovered the subscription box world and have quickly become addicted. I love product. I am a product junkie. Step One in recovery is admitting you have a problem, right? Maybe?
- My boyfriend and I have been together almost ten years and own a home together so calling him my “boyfriend” seems so high school. Husband is not accurate, common law, partner, they all seem wrong. In this area I feel a new word needs to be invented.
- When I was a teenager I lived and studied in Japan for 3 months on a scholarship, at a home-stay.
- In 2011 I lost a best friend unexpectedly. I still miss her every day.
- I consider myself a frugal gal. I have had a budget for as long as I can remember. In the 90’s this was essential as I made minimum wage. I had envelopes with cash in them marked ‘food’, ‘gas’, ‘rent’, etc. While the wage has gotten better over the years, the budget always stuck with me.